My boyfriend, Rovell, has a peach tree in his backyard!! Of course I wanted to make something with all the peaches on it, I just couldn’t quite decide what to make. After days and days of debating, I landed on peach cobbler.
If you have never had peach cobbler, you clearly are not from the south. Peach cobbler is a southern tradition, and one of my favorite desserts. Especially with yummy vanilla ice cream over it. Mmmmmmmm my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
This recipe is super simple, I think the part that actually took the longest was peeling and cutting the peaches!! By the way, you have to use fresh peaches for this recipe!! I’ve tried peach cobblers with canned peaches, its just not the same. I guess if you are using canned peaches make sure you cut back on the sugar when you cook the peaches. Canned peaches are usually in a heavy syrup that’s loaded with sugar. Fresh is the way to go!!!!!!!
If you have never peeled peaches before here is what you will need to do. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Score the bottom of your peaches with an X, for easy peeling. Drop your peaches in boiling water for about 30 seconds – 1 minute. It just depends on how ripe your peaches on. Remove the peaches with a slotted spoon and drop in an ice bath. They should peel easily after that, you may still need to use your peeler on some.
I adapted this recipe from a 1997 edition of Southern Living! I hope you all enjoy it, I know we sure did! Make sure you serve it warm with vanilla ice cream. Your cobbler will be the hit dish!
adapted from Southern Livin
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups fresh peach slices
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Ground cinnamon
- Melt butter in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; add milk and vanilla extract, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter over butter (do not stir).
- Bring remaining 1 cup sugar, peach slices, and lemon juice to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly; pour over batter (do not stir). Sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
- Bake at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve cobbler warm with vanilla ice cream.